I used to be one of those people who would often say, ‘I don’t have time for this or that’. I think it’s a lame excuse and I’m now consciously trying not to say those words. We all get the same 24 hours every day and we all spend it as we wish. It’s all about priorities and trade-offs. There’s this famous quote which rings true in many of my situations: “If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.”
Now, making your own lunch often fall in the grey zone between being important/not being important. But when it only takes less than 20 minutes to make… there really is no excuse, is there?
I’ve been making this quick toss salad for a few months now, slightly differently every time depending on what I have in the fridge, but it is super easy and so quick to make that there really is no excuse for me to go and spend 30 minutes (and a few extra dollars) getting take away for lunch, other than pure laziness on my part, which was what I almost succumbed to last Sunday. But I didn’t. I made the salad, ate it and felt great. I even went on to prepare a few more for lunch this week to save some time washing up. And, yes, in case you’re wondering, they keep fresh for a few days in the fridge because I keep the dressing in a separate container.
The Everyday Miso and Tahini Dressing is something I’ve created to make eating raw vegetables so much more pleasant and enjoyable. It is inspired from my last trip to Japan where I had some of the most delicious salads, simply prepared and drizzled with lots of creamy sesame dressings. It’s full of umami taste (a fifth element of taste of which can be describe as a “pleasant savory taste”). It also serves well as a dip for celery sticks and carrots. It’s so simple to make and consist of 3 ingredients.
If you are struggling to find time to eat healthy or make you own lunch, then this salad is for you. You can prepare this on the night before, skip the greasy takeaway lunch, save some money and feel good about it.
You will love this salad.
- It’s vegan
- It’s crunchy and colourful
- It’s tasty
- It’s low cal
You will also love the everyday miso tahini dressing.
- It consists of only 3 ingredients
- It contains no added oil or sugar
- It takes seconds to prepare
- It gives you lots of umami flavour without the MSG!
Make it, make it now.
- 1 bunch celery with leaves
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ avocado, skin and pit removed, sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablepoon tahini dressing
- 2-3 tablespoon of water (depending how thick you like your dressing)
- Trim celery leaves and chop enough to measure 1 cup.
- Thinly slice stalks on deep diagonal. Place celery pieces in bowl of cold water. Drain celery; pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove stalks from kale and discard. Slice leaves thinly until you get 1 or 2 big handful of kale leaves.
- Combine kale, and celery in a bowl, add the tahini dressing and toss gently.
- Top with tomatoes and avocado and the drizzle with a bit more dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk all ingredients in small bowl to blend (you can use a fork or a small whisk).
- Gradually whisk in water and whisk until the desired consistency
So there you go. If you try this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, tweet it, or tag me on Instagram. I love seeing all your food photos.